Good mail...

Today contained something nice--my new and improved contract for my second picture book. Tee hee! I imagine we sent out our envelopes at the same time. I believe my ms probably got there today, although I don't know when my editors will have time to even open the envelope.

Chris Barton got me thinking about SASE's...I wonder if I should do an SASE experiment. Maybe I should revolt and never send one. I mean, do I really need an editor to tell me that they think my ms is "cute" but they weren't impassioned enough to publish it?? Or that I'm the best darn writer they've seen in a while but "it wasn't right for ____ (fill in the blank)." I think if I were a bit more mature in writing, I could just do away with SASE's altogether. If I never saw a form or personal form again in my life, my mood would change drastically for the better. But unfortunately, you get some really great rejections. Ones that not only pat you on the back for your stellar prose, but ones that show they WISH they could publish it if only...

I don't know. I wonder if an editor would send you that type of nice rejection anyway. Maybe they'd think you'd lost your marbles for a sec and they'd take pity on you, using their own envelope. HA!

Well, I don't have the guts to do that experiment. So, I will plod along, sending unecessary SASE's that will come back containing things I really don't want to see. But I'm seriously considering turning into an SASE REBEL!!

No comments: