Feeling better...

I am recovering from "post-sub-depression". That's an author's disorder where they put a ton of work into something and then sub it to a waiting editor who may lance it with a rejection letter at any moment. It doesn't occur very often with my picture books. I think that's because they are relatively easier (for me) to compose. I spend maybe three months total on one and not more than six months, but a novel contains years of work. I have more invested and so, when someone gets interested, I get a high that lasts until I send it out.

I've had LOTS of good news lately, so I'm sure most people, especially those who are trying to get published, are thinking I'm acting ridiculous, but I think it happens to many people. And I'm sorry to say doesn't automatically quit once you get published. I do feel better about it today. My novel is in the Lord's hands and I have peace in that.

I am looking forward to getting my kids in school and scheduled. I'll be able to schedule my writing time better. I'm writing "in the cracks" as I heard Jerry Spinelli once say. Or was that Eileen? Anyway, that's how I write. In snippets.

I don't think I'll be writing for the rest of the week. I've done a lot this summer and I feel I've accomplished much. But next week, I'm going back to my WIP. It needs to be finished by September so I can work on the revision. I'd love to start looking for an agent by the end of the year.

2 comments:

Chris Barton said...

Congrats on wrapping up that submission, and I'm sending out big ol' creative brain waves for your WIP. But in the meantime, enjoy that break you're giving yourself!

Pam Calvert said...

Thanks, Chris!

Yes, I'm going to enjoy my break. It's very freeing to get stuff done, you know?