Little Stinker!


Here is my little dog. She's a bit angry with me since I've been taking her on runs...yes, runs. Don't most dogs run? She zips around the house, catching balls, jumping on strangers, and charging around playing tag with my kids, so I thought a 5 mile jaunt would be no big deal.


Well, it wouldn't have been a big deal except for the fact that once was fine with her. We went out last week and she kept up pretty well. But then I took her out the next day. She did great until we were about a mile and a half into it and then she started putting on the brakes. I encouraged her along for a bit. She seemed to be okay except for the little hobble in her steps. I didn't want to hurt her, so I turned back.

I waited two days. Surely her little pads on her feet were healed. They looked normal to me!

She seemed excited to go this morning, so I laced up my shoes and off we went on the pine-lined trail out my backyard. After one hundred yards, she put on the full stop, digging in her heels. I slowed for her, hoping she'd do her business or smell something spectacular, but she didn't. She stared me down as if saying, "How dare you make me do this again!" She's a toy fox terrier with a mind of her own and I knew she was just being stubborn. She's young--not even two--and she's been out on a 12 mile hike before, blazing the trail ahead of us. A tiny five mile jog shouldn't be too tough. She was just being a baby. So I pulled her onward, seriously, encouraging her the whole way. But she trailed behind me, pulling back as hard as she could.

After 2 and a half miles of this, I couldn't do it to her anymore. So I turned around. She'd won. I felt really guilty that she'd been so out of shape, that I'd pushed her way too hard, that I was the model citizen for the cruelty to animals poster. I was ready to walk back and even hold her if I had to, when she bolted ahead, tongue hanging out of her mouth. Then she proceeded to drag ME the whole two and a half miles home!

Was she out of shape? No way. I had a heart attack keeping up with her. Was she being lazy. Maybe.

Is she smart? You be the judge.

I decided to give up. She's a trail dog but not a runner. I'm okay with that. At least she's still cute and I love her anyway. I can always borrow a big dog from one of my neighbors if I want canine companionship on my runs.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Ha! Sounds like you have a drama queen on your hands.

Pam Calvert said...

Yes, I do! So, that would make four drama queens in my house! Whew...

Just Joany said...

Don't you just love 'em, though? She sounds like quite the handful.

~ Just Joany
Red Wagon Flights

Pam Calvert said...

She's a darling...best little dog. In the house. HA!

Alisa said...

What a sweet dog!

♥Libby♥ said...

hey, nice blog! feel free to check out mine and follow at girlsofhope.blogspot.com
Libbyx

Mary Campbell said...

Very cute dog. I feel her pain. I can walk forever, but running? no thank you. Anyway thanks for visiting my blog. Your picture books look adorable.

Kendrabelle Logan said...

Aw, haha, what a fun story!

I say very smart ;)

~Kendrabelle

Tabitha Bird said...

I have just come across to your blog and love that you write children's books. I alos love your little dog. I have a chihuahua called Lion who is every bit the princess of my house. :) I am so glad you did not give up on your journey to becoming an author. Your Jan first post inspired my heart to stay with something I really want to see happen. Thank you.

Pam Calvert said...

Good luck, Tabitha! Dreams really can come true if you persevere! <3