A Book Written with REAL Pixie Dust



I've been wanting to review this book for a while--ever since I read it last summer, but I've been busy writing my own books (and reading.) But today is a holiday (kudos to Martin Luther King and his holiday commemoration). So, I have time.

This story was the best of 2009 for me. Actually, the best I've read in quite a while. It was true in pacing, storyline, and voice. It was one of those books that I tried to slow myself down in reading because I wanted to savor every word. That doesn't happen very often for me. I'm a skimmer. If the author starts boring me with unnecessary characterizations of minor characters or they get off-plot or they go on a boring journey to get from plotpoint B to plotpoint C, I can spot that a gazillion miles away, and I'll skim.




That didn't happen even once.

This marvelous book was written for the tween market but can hold the attention of my teens (my sixteen and seventeen year old daughters.) This author happens to be a Christian as well. I didn't know that reading the book, but could tell that her characters had great faith. They honored their "Great Gardener", their maker. I really appreciated that.


What book is this?

Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter.

It follows a faery named, Knife, and her quest to become an integral part of her faery world. But she notices that something's wrong in the Oak--her home. She sees that her people are in effect "dying" and she's spunky enough to find out why. Through fast paced adventures, charming wit, and breathtaking creative characterizations, Knife finds out a missing key that could be the answer to save her people, and that's where the mystery begins.


I won't shed anymore light on the plot. I loved it that I hadn't read spoilers, but just know, if you like faeries, magic spells, and adventure, you'll love this novel.



Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter was nominated for a Carnegie Medal in the UK (under the novel title of Knife)--an honor it wholeheartedly deserves.

The next installment in the series is Wayfarer. It will be released this summer. I can't wait to read more from this talented debut author!

2 comments:

Madness By Mattie said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I can't wait to read it!

Pam Calvert said...

Oh, I'm glad you'll be reading it! You won't be disappointed!